Friday 13 June 2014

Ohh, I wanna dance with somebody...



Last week was a bit of a treat and something I don’t do all that often but wish I did – a trip to the theatre. My parents and I went to see The Bodyguard at the Adelphi Theatre in the West End. They had actually been to watch the show back in October 2013, but that was when Beverley Knight played the lead role. Now, (as of Monday 2nd June) Alexandra Burke plays the leading star (called Rachel Matton) and will do until her contract ends at the end of August.

I didn’t actually know much about The Bodyguard storyline before I went – the only thing I did know was that the storyline was loosely based on Whitney Houston and included many of her famous songs. So, if like me, you are a bit in the dark, let me give you a brief synopsis (without ruining the storyline completely). Alexandra plays a famous singer/actress, who is at the peak of her career having been nominated for 2 Oscars and is one of the world’s greatest superstars. However, at the beginning of the show you find out she has a male stalker, who has managed to escape/dodge Rachel’s security, and threatens both her and her son’s safety. A world-class bodyguard is hired to look after them, and keep them safe from the stalker. The show follows her rise to fame, coupled with her struggle with the persistent threat of danger from this male ‘fan’. I can’t give anything else away as it would almost certainly ruin it for you, but the ups and downs of the storyline have you gripped from start to finish.



I must admit, when I found out Alexandra was playing the lead role I was both excited and apprehensive. I mean, she’s a famous X Factor pop star; she’s not exactly known for her acting prowess is she? However, all I can say is prepare to be amazed. She had the audience captivated, both in fits of laughter and in moments of raw emotion, and you couldn’t help but warm to her. She plays the Whitney Houston ‘diva’ role extremely well, and although she perhaps didn’t mimic Whitney entirely accurately, she brought her own personality to the role and made it her own. By the end of the show you are captivated by her energy and you just want to be up on that stage dancing around with her.

The young boy, who plays her son Fletcher, was also incredibly talented and will certainly have a future in music, as will the actress who plays Rachel’s sister. One particular scene which sees her singing on a bar stool to an empty bar was incredibly mesmerising.

Having said all of that, the highlight has to be Alexandra’s singing. Now I am often quite cynical of talent show winners; unfortunately all too often they don’t actually really possess that world-class talent. However, when she took to the stage to sing a variety of Whitney Houston classics, from to the show-stopper I Will Always Love You, there can have been no doubt in anyone’s mind that Alexandra can sing. I actually shed a few tears! The husky tone to her voice makes her voice unique and compelling, and her control and ability to hit the big notes are world-class. Just world-class.


Moral of THIS story? SEE THE SHOW. We had tickets 7 rows from the front in the stalls, and paid £60 a ticket. Yes, that’s quite a lot, but our seats were incredible and I can honestly say it was one of the highlights of my year so far. I am already wondering who else I can take to go with me again…



PS A great night wouldn't be complete without a burger. Yes, I am a burger-holic. This one is the 'Taxidriver' from Gourmet Burger Kitchen, and I can honestly say I was SO impressed. Delicious. Will definitely be back to sample others...

No comments:

Post a Comment