Wednesday 13 August 2014

Best Burger Award goes to...


Anyone who knows me or follows me on Instagram will know that I am a BIG burger lover. And when I say big, I mean I am practically obsessed. But who doesn't love chowing down on a burger? Over the past year I have made it my mission to try all the different burger joints in London and I have mentally ranked them accordingly. I thought I'd share my thoughts with you so next time you fancy some burger goodness you know where to head to. You can thank me after (or take me with you. Either will do).

Number 5: Shakeshack
A while ago I wrote about my trip to Shakeshack with my best friend Nikita. Whilst it was good, it certainly wasn't the best burger I've ever had. It was quite small (I am obviously a fattie) and there just wasn't anything hugely special about it. The cheesy chips are also slightly weird, as it is a hot liquid cheese sauce that you pour over the chips. I think for what you pay there are other much better options out there. The one thing I will say is the location at Covent Garden is really nice, and perfect if you want to combine your meal with a day of shopping/sight-seeing.


Number 4: GBK
GBK, Gourmet Burger Kitchen, is a burger chain which has restaurants all over the country, so it's not specific to London. I went a few years ago and had a very disappointing meal, so I was slightly sceptical when my parents suggested going there again recently (I'm sure by now you've gathered that I take my burger-eating very seriously). However I was really pleasantly surprised; I went for the 'Taxi Driver' which has American cheese, an onion ring, Cajun relish, smoked chilli mayo, relish and salad. It was HUGE and absolutely delicious, as were the chips. They have probably the most unusual and wide-ranging burger toppings, so it's a good choice if you fancy something a bit different to your standard cheeseburger. BIG thumbs up.


Number 3: Byron
Despite my burger obsession, I had never actually been to a Byron before recently. My Dad and brother had been on a trip to London and raved about it, but I'd just never got round to it. However, I went a few days ago, with my friends Jess and Sophie, to the new one opened up at Clapham Common. The restaurant is huge which is good because we got a seat straight away, and the décor is pretty cool. I went for the chilli burger which actually had a layer of fresh green chillis under the cheese. If you love spicy food this will be heaven for you. We also went for the French fries and the skin on chips to share, and whilst they were nice they weren't anything to write home about. The Pinot Grigio, on the other hand, went down a real treat.



Number 2: Honest
I have visited Honest Burger at Brixton Village a couple of times now and neither time disappointed. Firstly, Brixton Village has a great atmosphere, and there are SO many good places to eat there. Secondly, the burgers are absolutely amazing, as are the rosemary salted chips. The place is tiny so you often have to wait for a table; however they put you on a virtual list so you can talk a stroll around or go for a drink somewhere else while you wait for a table. The burgers are huge, the meat is really soft and tasty, and you get a crazy amount of chips. I also love the lemonade jars with the stripy straws. There are also other Honest joints opening up around London, including one in Tooting.


Number 1: Patty and Bun
So my Holy Grail burger place has to be Patty and Bun. Situated near Bond Street, it is in a perfect location for a delicious feast after a long day of shopping. They don't take bookings, like Honest, and the place is really small, so you do end up having to queue outside on busier peak times which can be really annoying. However I can 100% assure you that the wait is totally worth it. I have no idea what it is that they put in their burgers, but the combination of flavours and the tender meat makes for a heavenly experience (have I over-used the word heaven yet?) The chips are also the best of all the different places in my opinion.

So there we go, my countdown of my top 5 favourite burger haunts in London. Is there anywhere I'm missing? If you didn't already know, I am a massive fan of burger places...

No comments:

Post a Comment