Monday 21 July 2014

Graduation


Despite finishing my degree and getting my results back in the Summer of 2012, I still hadn't got around to graduating. For most that seems bizarre, as usually graduation is a set day a few weeks after results, organized by the University, and everyone plans for it realy far in advance and everyone attends. Oxford works slightly differently, as it is the student's responsibility to book a day, and you can graduate up to 10 years after finishing your course. My friends and I are very disorganized, and so didn't get around to booking our ceremony until this year, on July 12th.

Now I have to admit, I wasn't actually that excited about my graduation in the build up to it. Obviously I finished studying a long time ago, and so it felt a bit 'after the event'. Added to that, I had a very difficult time at the end of my degree in Oxford, which unfortunately left me with quite sad memories of the place and my time there. Thankfully, I feel I am in a much better place now, and it was amazing to revisit a place where I spent three years of my life and learnt so much, both about law and learning but also about myself and my relationships with others.
I arrived in College ridiculously early (as I've got older I have developed a complex about being late for important things) and sat on the quad in college, taking a moment to reflect and admire my beautiful surroundings. Despite the city being extremely busy with bustling tourists and locals, as soon as you step through the college lodge you find yourself in another world; of utter tranquillity and calm. It's breath-taking, and definitely something I hadn't appreciated enough when studying there.

Shortly after Nikita then arrived, and we had some photos in our 'sub-fusc.' Another bizarre Oxford tradition is that for both exams and graduation you aren't allowed to wear whatever you want; instead you wear 'sub-fusc' which consists of a black suit and white bow tie for the men and a black skirt, white shirt and little black bow for girls. Despite us moaning about how boring it meant our outfits were, secretly I quite like the tradition and it makes everyone look very smart and put-together.


The ceremony was in the Sheldonian theatre in the centre of town. We donned our gowns (mortar boards in hand as you weren't allowed to wear them inside) and entered the theatre. There were around 200 students graduating, and the ceremony lasted about an hour and a half (with 80% of it being in Latin). When our names were called we had to come to the front and bow to the Proctors and Vice-Chancellor of the University, stating 'do fidum' (I believe in Latin) when asked if we believed that we deserved our degree. We then left the theatre to put the 'hoods' onto our gowns to signify our new degree status, and then re-entered the theatre to rapturing applause. All very traditional and formal, but magical nonetheless.

We then headed back to College for more photos, and a little ceremony in the Exeter College chapel, with yet more speeches, applause and congratulations. This was followed by champagne and canapés in the Rector's garden in college, which was all very beautiful and lovely. Bubbly never goes a miss.


My personal highlight of the day has to have been when the Vice Chancellor asked all the students to stand up and make eye contact with their loved ones in the audience to show their thanks for all their love and support. I think the memory of looking up at my Mum and Dad and feeling the love and devotion I felt will stay with me forever. I honestly couldn't have even got into Oxford, let alone finished my degree, without my parents. My Dad guided me through the application process, offering his support wherever possible, and they were always at the end of the phone should I be having a tough day and in need of a good moan about the workload. When life got difficult in the last few months of my third year, my parents picked me up from Oxford and allowed me to continue studying at home, always offering their support and pep talks to carry on going, even when it seemed there was no light at the end of the tunnel.


My graduation wasn't only about celebrating me and my achievement, because there were so many other people involved in helping me get to that stage. My parents, my best friend Nikita who is honestly the best friend a girl could ask for, my guy friends who always managed to make a joke out of anything and had me laughing even through tears, and my tutors who guided me through so many complex ideas and encouraged me to think creatively and write persuasively.


So here's to all those people. Thank you for helping me get to where I am today, and for being a part of my three intense but incredible University years, and many more to come.

No comments:

Post a Comment