Tuesday 29 July 2014

How To Prevent / Cure the Dreaded Holiday Peel


Whilst Morocco was amazing, and being a sun-worshipper I absolutely loved a week in the hot sun, my skin didn't thank me. Despite being careful with sun cream and lathering on body moisturiser after my shower every night, I ended up with an awful case of the holiday peel. And I mean awful. Unfortunately Katie didn't escape it either. I think it was a combination of having the hammam, which meant all the skin exposed was fresh, new skin, and also the high level of aircon that we had to have which really dried our skin out.

Therefore, the weekend I got home I headed straight out to the shops to pick up every damn moisturising product I could find to try and relieve the problem. Unfortunately it didn't completely go away, but it did help it and now my skin is almost back to it's normal self. I thought I'd write about what I used so that if anyone else's skin needs a bit of TLC you can try these things out.

First up in the moisturising routine (yes, it deserves a routine when it's THAT bad) is this Nivea In Shower Body Conditioner. Basically, you use an exfoliating mitt (I've got one from Solait for £3.99) to scrub off any flaky/dead skin (ew) and then put this all over your body as if it was a moisturiser. Leave it on for 3 minutes, and then wash it off. I didn't find it as good as a usual moisturiser, but it's certainly a helpful added step, and there's just something so much easier about moisturising in the shower.

Then on days when I had an extra 5 minutes, I'd use a thick body butter. I managed to use a whole tub of this Body Shop stuff. It's thicker and so feels like it adds extra moisture, and the effects last longer (i.e. less need to top up halfway through the day in the office). Plus an added bonus is that the Body Shop body butters are usually on offer AND they smell delicious.

On days when I didn't have much time, I used this Vaseline spray on moisturiser. I had seen these before, and thought they were a novel concept but I wasn't that excited. However they're only £3.99 and the cans are quite big so I thought I'd give it a go. Plus, I MUCH prefer spray on sun creams to lotions, so I thought this could be similar.

I'm pleased to say I LOVE it. It's so easy, and you can basically moisturise your whole body in 3 minutes. It's not the thickest moisturiser, but I do find it leaves my skin feeling softer and nourished, and it banishes the peel for a few hours. It's a definite winner from me, and I'll certainly be picking another one up when I run out. The lazy girl's dream.

So there you have it...with all the above your skin should manage to avoid the dreaded peel. However, moral of the story? Avoid the hammam and dare I say it, take breaks from the sun...

No comments:

Post a Comment