Friday 30 January 2015

Sticks N Sushi

There's nothing like a pay day Friday, especially after 5 long weeks, Christmas, and a miserable, cold and wet January. Katie and I had some 'flatmate time' booked in the diary for a long time, and we wanted to go to a good restaurant on Friday night. I turned to trusty Time Out and looked up 'best sushi restaurants in London', which is how I found Sticks n Sushi. After more investigation, and realising that the Londoner had been, I knew we had to check it out.
 
My first bit of advice is to book early; I booked on the Tuesday and could only get the downstairs 'Sushi Bar' (although in hindsight for two people it actually worked perfectly). Here you can watch all the chefs in action!
 
The restaurant is a Danish creation, and it hasn’t long been in London. The menu is (as the name suggests) basically a combination of sushi and ‘sticks’ – skewers of meats and different flavours. Rather than one large plate of food, you choose a few small things and pick and choose what you want, sharing with your fellow diners.
 


First up we went for some cocktails; I had the 'Yuzu Zoo' and Katie had the 'Hanoko'. We also had some spicy edamame, which were nice but nothing crazy to write home about (they weren't spicy enough for my liking). 



Onto mains. We decided rather than going a la carte, where there was SO much to choose from, that we'd pick from the set menus. I loved the menus because they have pictures of all the food so you knew a little more of what you were getting! It’s perfect for the first time you go to the restaurant, and you’re not really sure exactly what/how much you should order.




We chose the ‘Upgrade‘ set menu, which had a good mixture of both sushi, sashimi and sticks. We also had another couple of cocktails, the ‘Hotaru‘ and ‘Dragon Heart‘ (apparently only for the 'bravest of hearts!)


 
On the 'Upgrade' menu were the following:

2 salmon, 2 tuna and 2 shrimps nigiri; 8 spicy tuna and 8 crispy ebi rolls; 6 salmon carpaccio; 6 duck rice paper rolls; 6 sticks (chicken wings, tuna steak in chilli sauce and goats cheese wrapped in cured ham; and veggie sticks.
The food was delicious and there was SO much of it. It was really fun, as Katie and I would try the same thing at the same time, so we both experienced the amazing flavours together!
 
I have to say, it was probably the best sushi I’ve ever eaten, and there wasn’t one thing I didn’t enjoy. The sticks were really good, but I’d agree with a lot of the reviews I'd read prior to going, and say that the sushi is the main affair. As for the cocktails, although the menu was quite small, they were all unique and certainly went down easily!
The only slightly negative comment we had was that they could have staggered the food a little more, as the sticks came out quite soon after the sushi and we had to put them up on the bar, so by the time we got around to eating them they weren’t piping hot.
 
Overall, Sticks n Sushi gets a huge thumbs up from me. It’s a little on the pricey side, but great for a pay day/special treat, and I’d definitely go back to sample more of the beautiful menu!

Book Sticks n Sushi here.

No comments:

Post a Comment