Tuesday 13 May 2014

Four Restaurant Finds in SW London...

It is fair to say that I LOVE eating out. During the week, my flatmate and I work long hours and when we're not eating dinner at work we tend to rustle something up at home (recipe posts are on the way.) However, whilst I love eating out, I don't like eating at ridiculously expensive places. The way I see it is that there is SO much choice in London, that you don't always need to spend £100 on a dinner to have a delicious meal. Therefore, I've done the hard work for you and found you some great places to eat out on a tight-medium budget if you live in the SW area, or if you fancy a change of scenery and heading down here for the evening.

Brixton Village

I heard so many good things about Brixton Village before I decided to go and see what the fuss is about; and every time I've visited I haven't been disappointed. It's hard to describe, but it's in two separate parts and is basically an indoor arcade with winding little pathways, with little independent restaurants lining them. It's certainly not 'Michelin star' food, and it's not the kind of place you dress up for, but every time I've been I've loved my food and it really is dirt cheap. Plus, the atmosphere and the vibe is so cool, especially on Friday and Saturday nights. However word of warning - it can get very busy on the weekend so prepare for a wait for the best places!



Honest Burger - My best friend and I had wanted to go here for AGES. I am a burger addict. One Saturday we were both ridiculously hungover and decided the only cure was Honest. We weren't disappointed. We both had the homemade lemonade which came in the cutest little glass jars with green and white striped straws. It was delicious, but the only criticism was that it needed ice because it was a little warm.



I went for the cheese (cheddar) beef burger which is served medium rare. The meat was incredible, the bun was soft, the fillings were so tasty, and what's more the rosemary salted chips are delicious (and plentiful!) My best friend doesn't eat beef so she had a chicken burger with the toppings of a beef burger, and she assured me her's was delicious too. Best bit? It was only £11 each. Bargain. I have to admit, the Patty and Bun burgers still topped it, but only just.

Franco Mancas - If you are looking for the best pizza in SW London, look no further. The menu is quite small, but everything I saw looked incredible. The pizzas are absolutely MASSIVE, and only around £6-7! How crazy is that? The best thing about this is that they use sourdough, so the crusts are incredible. I don't know about you, but I usually end up eating the middle of my pizza and leaving the crunchy dry crusts. Well these are soft and tasty. I managed to eat the whole thing; it was just too good. There are no airs and graces with this place; the wine was served in glass tumblers and the turnover is quite quick. However for under £30 for 2 pizzas, a bottle of wine and side salad you can't really go wrong.

Clapham



Osteria - This was another recommendation, and again it didn't disappoint. It's on Clapham High Street, and if I'm honest from the outside doesn't look like anything too special. However what makes this place amazing is it's Italian authenticity; it seems to be family run, all the staff are Italian, and it's decorated so you genuinely feel like you could have just walked in off a street in Rome. I had pizza (my Dad called me a pleb) which was goat's cheese and spicy sausage - delicious. The nice thing was it wasn't only pizza and pasta; the mains all looked really delicious too. A definite one to try.



The Bobbin - I'd never heard of this before, but it's a small gastro-pub in Old Town Clapham. It's a little walk from the main high street past The Jam Tree, and outside it's covered in fairy lights. Sold already. Now I'm not a huge fan of restaurants serving British food; I like a lot of spice to my dinners, and I always tend to want to try cuisines that I wouldn't usually make myself. However this really didn't disappoint. We went for the lamb (which was SO tender) with herbed potatoes and garlic cabbage and I can honestly say it's one of the best meals I've had in weeks, and the leg of duck which was also delicious. This is a bit of a secret, but a VERY good one.

So, have I got your mouth watering? Is there anywhere else you'd recommend? Like I said, I'm a big fan of eating out...

No comments:

Post a Comment