Friday 16 May 2014

Making a House (Flat) a Home

Katie and I have now lived in our flat for 5 months. How time flies! We were actually very good at buying everything and sorting everything in the flat quite early on when we moved in. We knew it was important to do all the little things that are so easy to forget/miss, but which make the place you live in your home, rather than just, well, the place you live in. I thought I'd share a few of them with you, so if you're wanting to spruce your place up a little bit, or have just moved into somewhere and want to add that little 'je ne sais quoi', you have a few ideas.



PICTURES - I am huge fan of putting things up on the walls. I think that's the thing that people often get lazy about doing, and either don't buy any pictures, or they sit on the surfaces rather than actually being put up on the wall. Katie and I were a bit guilty of that, but eventually we bought some Command Strips (which are the best inventions as they allow you to stick things to the walls without damaging them) and eventually put them up. Our favourite is the photo we got printed onto a canvas in our lounge which reminds us of our time in Thailand.



I also love this cute little trio of canvases from Argos though. We have a red theme running through the open plan kitchen/living room in our flat, so they fitted perfectly. And did I mention they were only £6.99? What a steal.



FRESH FLOWERS - Now if you've read my other posts, you'll know one of my NY resolutions was to buy fresh flowers. Whilst I haven't bought them as often as I should do, we have had quite a few bunches and I've absolutely loved it. These ones lasted absolutely AGES and they really brightened up the place.



I have also had some gorgeous tulips and roses and lilies in my bedroom. They just make me so happy to look at. I know, I am officially a Granny.



CUSHIONS - This one is so simple, but so effective in my opinion. Cushions are so cheap, but they just dress up a bed or a sofa. I am a huge fan of the colour pink (as if you didn't already know) so these ones from IKEA were perfect. The cream heart one was from Primark for £3. How cute? I love how they look on all my different duvet covers. We also have a big mix of different ones on our sofa, from a sheepskin one, to plain bright red or orange ones, to a patterned cream and black one. I love how they all look together.



PHOTOS - Everyone knows that having photos of your loved ones around makes your home feel more 'yours.' When I'm missing my parents and brother back home I love looking at the photos of them, and I also love looking at the photos of all the crazy times I've had with my girls. Not to mention the boy. Plus, I have a bit of an obsession with 'cute' photo frames. Especially the pretty, ornate silver ones.



THE LAST LITTLE BITS - I have to admit I probably have some slightly unnecessary decorative bits in my room, including these 'L O V E' letters. They sit on my dresser, and despite the fact they have absolutely NO purpose, I just think they look pretty and cute. Plus, no man is ever going to let me have them in a bedroom with them, so I'm enjoying them whilst I can!

So there you have it. A few little house-y bits. What else do you love decorating your home with? Katie and I are always on the look out for things for the flat (yes, we have a problem.)

No comments:

Post a Comment