Friday 11 April 2014

So the Queen actually owns Buckingham Palace, mortgage free?

This post has been a LONG time coming. We're talking weeks. So pretend that this was a recent event...

The title of those post was a particularly insightful question asked by James when we arrived at Buckingham Palace. He told me he'd never visited before, and I decided it was a wonderful tourist activity to do on a Sunday afternoon. The weather was absolutely glorious again, so we were really lucky.

We took the tube to Victoria and walked along Buckingham Palace Road until we got to the Queen's home. It was actually a lot quieter than I expected which was nice. The building never fails to take my breath away. It was particularly special this time after visiting the Grand Palace in Bangkok, where one of the buildings there (and even the soldiers guarding it) were modeled on Buckingham Palace because of the impressive architecture. Plus because James had never visited before his awe was so infectious.

After admiring the golden gates and the soldiers in their full uniform standing like statues (how do they do it?) we took a stroll through St James's Park and got a drink. Everyone was sitting on the grass passing away their Sunday afternoon relaxing, chatting and reading in the sun. I got James to take a quick photo of my outfit.



I went for pastels. My jeans are (again) the light wash Joni jeans from Topshop and my cream silk cami is also from Topshop (a great wardrobe staple.) I wore my pale pink blazer from Zara which was kindly gifted to me by a boy from the past (no names mentioned.) I definitely don't wear it enough, but pink is everywhere this season and I was excited to get it out. What better day than the first weekend of Spring? Finally my bag is from Miss Selfridge. I usually wear it as a clutch on nights out, but I was struggling to find a bigger bag to go with my outfit and so I used this. It actually worked a lot better than I expected.

We then took the 35 minute walk from the Palace, through Knightsbridge, to the Natural History museum. We passed Harrods and all the beautiful designer shops. I had to drag James along to stop him staring at the smart shoes (he's worse than me) and at one point he did get me to take a picture of a baby blue Ferrari for him. At least he was happy eh?

We didn't stay long at the museum, but it was really fun. We looked at the dinosaurs, and everyone's favourite has to be the moving T-rex at the end of the exhibit...



My favourite part was the Human Biology exhibition. Aside from sniggering at the pictures of private parts, we found the mirrors which distort your reflection. I have honestly not laughed so hard in ages. There were tears in my eyes! Here's my favourite 'selfie' we captured...



We left the museum and fancied a sit down. We stumbled into Le Pain Quotidien and after umming and aahing over the menu made our choices. James said it was the best cappucino he's ever had. And the desserts? Well they were out of this world. James doesn't share food so he had the toffee and banana tart which looked delicious, and I went for the largest scone with jam and cream. It was incredible, although it definitely defeated me...

Unfortunately soon after this we had to head home for James to pack and head back up North. However, we had an incredible day (and weekend) and even better, we hardly spent a penny! London can be expensive, but it has so much to offer for free if you make a little effort to look for it...

No comments:

Post a Comment